Judeann (pronounced Judy Ann, which is in fact my real name) is the founder of Judyism, an earthy wisdom and doctrine whose followers are likely to enjoy reading personal anecdotes about dogs and family, home and garden, and life in general.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Prankster

FRANKIE


One day I brought home a package of three hard rubber, high-bouncing balls as a surprise for three bouncy dogs. They were curious and full of sniffs, but not overly excited as I led them out onto the big cement slab we called the patio. But when I tossed the first one down and it rebounded high in the air, the game was on! Balls and dogs were all over the place, and if somebody else snatched your ball just before you could get it, it was no big deal, you just ran after another one. Every once in awhile, one of the balls would get lost under something, and Jack and I would help find it quickly before anybody started feeling left out. It was a fun, fun playtime.

After a bit, though, two balls were lost at the same time. Frankie still had his, held under one outstretched paw as he rested on his brisket with the other paw curled in toward his chest. Surprisingly, he just watched as the rest of us hunted everywhere - usually he'd be right in front of you everywhere you looked, completely blocking your view while he stuck his nose in first. Harley and Chelsea eventually gave up, greatly disappointed, and started looking for other dog things to do. The game was over.

I was pretty impressed that Frankie wasn't tossing and bouncing his ball, rubbing it in. Then as I strolled past him, I happened to catch his eye, and it was absolutely sparkling. He saw me looking at him, and then he was grinning. Did he? Could he have? I leaned over to look, and sure enough, just under his chin and hidden behind his paw, were the two missing balls.

He's the mischievous boy! What can you do? I motioned to Jack, who quietly made his way over to see what I'd found, and then the three of us all had a good laugh. Chelsea and Harley glanced up curiously from their dog business for a moment, then got back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...